Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
Creating Lightweight Components with ATL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Creating Lightweight Components with ATL

J. Bates, SAMS, 1999
{onion}It does have the right mix of content, it's nicely laid out, it's fun to read... until you discover it's untrustworthy. Oh, sh*t, you know. Somewhere in there, Bates dismisses the IDL pointer_default() as having something to do with the default property of a COM object. It doesn't (he's thinking about DISPID_VALUE). It's to do with how the marshaller is to resolve pointers in structures. In one stroke that proved four things to me: the two non-trivial things he didn't know, that he writes without checking and that Sam's (again!) cares nothing for the quality of their books. Even then, the book is a nice read to get things into perspective. But it's very hard to enjoy reading something you deeply mistrust. I found more such blatant errors in the book but got used to them along the way. I also found a lot of places where the "real meat" was simply glossed over or omitted. I did learn one neat little readers' trick though: check the people the author thanks for reviewing the material. Bates' list was pitiful. You know what... save your money and time for something else. Reread The Lord of the Rings, for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> COM All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: