Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
Design Patterns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Design Patterns

Gamma et.al., Addison-Wesley, 1995
{smile}This is the famous "Gang of four" book. It started (as far as I know) the whole pattern thing. It's already obvious that patterns are the next step in abstracting the software development process. It's also obvious that it isn't ready for general consumption. The templated form the patterns are presented in, seems stilted, boring and difficult to me. Hopefully, there'll be a kind of pattern language some time in the future, simplifying this process. Meanwhile, the patterns presented in this book are widely and wildly useful, making this book a (boring) must-read. Sorry, but you just have to grit your teeth, eat your vegetables and read this book.
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Design patterns rock my world

I have had the book an age and a day and I finally got around to reading it. And to my surprise ... WOW... DOUBLE WOW even.

I tried two patterns in a small little proggie I was writing and I found them to be powerful. My thoughts immediately jumped to one of my previous projects with the statement, "Geeze, that would have solved my complexity problem in that project with ease.".

The "State" pattern solves the mess you get when you have to safe guard each function by checking the state of the class members. ICK! I have been forced to do it TOO much. Finally a sexy solution.

The "Command" pattern was nice as well. I was already half aware of it, but to see it all worked out was a gift. Basically a replacement for callback functions in procedural languages.

And of course there are another 30 odd patterns in the book as well.
I knew this book would be a treasure when I bought it. Worth keeping around until I had the time to read it.

-KiM Smart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> Object Design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: