Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
XUL & XAML -vs- XED & Authentic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: XUL & XAML -vs- XED & Authentic

To comment on a email that you sent me a while back, we were discussing the creation of XED the dynamic XML editor.

> Thinking about the editor we were trying to do at RLS, it seems that XUL
> with Gecko (Mozilla project) is something like that. I haven't checked it
> out, but you may be interested.
>
> Window's XAML, a future thing, should be the same thing also.

XUL & XAML are both a race to create an XML standard that can be used to create dynamic interfaces for programs. They are not really all the advanced in their thinking. Just a simple xml description of what an interface should look like and defined in xml so that it is easy to change later. XAML goes a little further to allow for embedded code in CDATA tags, which seemed pretty nifty.

http://www.xaml.net
http://www.xulplanet.com

The editor that you thought of in '96 is only implemented by one organization that I know of. That would be Altova, the creators of XmlSpy. I personally don't find their software very intuitive and therefore don't really lean toward wanting to use it, however they have an incredible amount of functionality. They define a document with a sps extention that is hallmarked under the name StyleVision. They have implemented the editor and called it Authentic. They give a freeware version away (with annoying registration key request) of the editor which allows people to fill in the dynamic data forms, but doesn't allow the user to create his/her own. Of course you get to purchase the nicely priced packages to be able to do any kind of development. Rolling Eyes

So that is about the gist of it!

http://www.altova.com/products_doc.html

Now considering how incredible massive the packages are that they have created, I am actually considering just writing a small editor myself. Since it is notably, FREE. Yes
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject:

I did try Altova's Authentic (for the exact reasons you give) a year or two back, but didn't go into it very deeply. Seemed very top-heavy to me and too management oriented, if you see what I mean.

I have a feeling that XUL/XAML is the right way to go, even if you build something better out of it, simply because that is what people will expect. At least once they know what you're talking about. But I'd love to see a real, actually working, thing of some kind. Something that's not made for managers, doesn't look like an Acrobat form designer me-too, and that can be used in real live projects by real live people.

So, do it. If it's free, I'm your first customer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: