Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
SEXY phpBB to the MAX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: SEXY phpBB to the MAX

I had a idea last night Idea, this is of course untested, but goes as follows...

You have a module installed that gives out an RSS feed for each new topic in your forum. Well, take it to the MAX. If you surf to www.phpbb.com you will see that the latest news is posted. On the bottom of the list there is a link "Show all news". Click on it. You will be taken to a forum which contains all the latest news. If you get my drift already, great, otherwise read further...

They are proving that it is possible to display a list of topics on a web page with a different formatting. I believe the first MOD in the mod database under Syndication called, "Topics Anywhere", is the one they are using for this. Now, I checked and they even mention my idea right there....

Install the topic list on your home page. Do some serious style changing so that it looks EXACTLY like your article list that you have to the right of your sidebar menu and you have the RSS feed built in. VOILA!

Your main page gets updated automatically and feeds generated just by filling up a forum with topics. You can make the forum invisible for the admin only and enable the HTML links that you need to make your home page look just as spiffy. I don't know how much versatility a single topic message allows in the way of HTML programming, but I can't imagine it being too much of a problem.

-KiM
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject:

Kim,

Yes, I do think I see what you mean and I think it's a pretty cool idea. Now for the implementation of it...
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Just half-sexy

So I added the topic thing to the navpanel under the heading "Latest News". It's really brief, since there's not much place there and it's not what you meant. Still, I sortof like it.

BTW, if you want to create your own script containing my latest headers, go to

http://www.wehlou.com/pubforum/topics_anywhere.php
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject:

I checked out the topic_anywhere mod and I don't think the mod offers enough flexibility for displaying topics for my purposes. You need to have a way that you can format the topics completely to your own liking. I could do it with the mod, but then I would have to tear a part the mod and program into it the needed formating.

I have noticed that the phpbb_fetch_all-2.0.3.zip mod leans more to what I am looking for. Maybe consider using it instead. Puzzled

Of course, then there is the question of the auto rss feed. I think you might have to use the topic_anywhere for the rss feed and the fetch_all to post the topics. Unless one of us feels like doing some custom programming. Wink
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject:

I think either way is ok. I'll check out the other mod and maybe add it too. Seems you just can pile on these mods onto a phpBB with no problems.
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject:

http://www.wehlou.com/pubforum/fetch_all/examples/portal.php Wink
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Ok, that's a total knock-out. Ruddy perfect, is another way of putting it. Now I have to work it into the home page somehow. Unless, of course, I can find someone who wants to do that... Tongue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> General Technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: