Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
RSS and talking Macs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: RSS and talking Macs

Well, things are integrating nicely. Leading to strange things.

The new iPodderX for the Mac can now handle standard text RSS feeds, too. Which it then converts using Mac built-in text-to-speech. Which then sounds like the following:

This is the "Lawyers at work" message in "Jokes" forum.

And this is the "Knaagdieren" message in Flemish, from the Oude Belgen forum.

Once you've listened to these two spoken messages, I feel I have to go over what is happening here. Here it comes:

On the Mac, I have a program running, called iPodderX. In this program, I subscribe to "podcasts", that is, RSS channels with enclosed sound files. These files contain conference proceeding, radio programs and similar things.

iPodderX then converts the files as they are downloaded, to AAC format, then imports them into iTunes.

iTunes in turn pushes these files to the iPod, which I then take on the road, connect to the stereo in the car and listen to technical stuff while driving.

All this fully automatically.

Now, with the latest iPodderX, it also takes "normal" textbased RSS feeds and converts them using text-to-speech. So the ridiculous "spoken" versions of the forum posts above, actually are in my iPod now. Fully automatically and in the background.

So the next time you reply to a post, there's a good chance I'll hear you in the iPod in the car or walking in the woods. In a voice totally without any relationship to the person writing it, or even, as it may happen, to what it should be saying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: