Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
New site functionality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: New site functionality

I've reworked the site considerably. Most of the hard tech stuff was done by Kim, while I was enjoying myself and being in the way a lot. What the site now allows is for you to comment on articles, be it about a general technical issue or a coding thing. You can also comment on book reviews. Note that to comment on anything, you first have to register. I'm not generally that anal retentive, but I've already been hit by "forum spam", which is a real PITA, so you'll have to go through this hassle if you have something to say. Sorry.
The comments on book reviews will be visible in the book review web page, the comments on articles only in the forum where you enter them. Also, the main headlines and the contents of the "Archives" panel to the left are extracted from the forum database. Actually, I think this whole setup is rather cool. Now we'll see how well it works in real life.
Update: the public forum (see "Forum" link above) is now also reworked in the same style as the site itself (thanks, Kim!). If you see good ol' subSilver only, go to your profile and change "Board Style" to "theWehlou". You find this setting in the section "Preferences". New users and guests should get this style by default.
While I was at it, I added a "Links" page and an "Alerts" page to the top menu. Check them out.
I have one thing to say about stylesheets and fontsizes: after much experimenting, I decided to have the fontsizes absolute. Having them relative made FireFox differ significantly from IE. Having them absolute means that IE can't resize the fonts. On the other hand, neither Mozilla, FireFox or MyIE2 have any problem resizing using ctrl-+ and ctrl--, so I think IE is defective here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> Site Headlines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: