Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
Dump Internet Explorer, now!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Dump Internet Explorer, now!

Ever since MS won the browser wars, they've neglected the development of IE. It's woefully behind in the standards implementations, but now it's becoming clear just how much behind it is in the security department as well. The last couple of days, there's been a number of calls to simply dump IE in favor of almost anything else. The statistics don't lie, IE is our major security headache and MS is doing very little effectively to change that. More...
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Not a solution, but it seems works.

My current security settings are as follows:

download SIGNED ActiveX ctrls: prompt
download UNsighed ... : disabled
init and script Activex not marked safe: disabled
run ActiveX controls and plugins : enabled
script ActiveX controls marked safe : enabled
m$ java : disabled
access data sources across domains : disabled
launch programs in IFRAME: disabled
software channel premissions: HIGH security
allow paste via script: disabled
Java applets: disabled

And they seem to work. For the sites that look crappy and I trust, I
put in the trusted sites list giving them a more flexible environment. I have noticed that I don't trust too many sites. Wink

Last edited by nevelsteen on Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:05 pm    Post subject:

You're definitely not a quitter and with some effort, you may actually keep it up for a while. I'm too lazy to fight this losing battle and I can't see any point in it. Also, I'm hoping that once the number of people changing to another, better, browser becomes noticeable to MS, they may actually pick up the development again. Who knows.
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately you are correct. It is largely due to the fact that I start up another browser and I immediately go ICK! -OR- I notice that something doesn't work right or whatnot. It is especially annoying when you are doing web programming. Last time I checked I believe the number of people using IE was still on 97% (I won't get started on the 800x600 resolution people still out there). And even worse is that from a web design point of view it is actually easier that the majority is using one browser. Makes it easier program for the masses.

Concept? Instead of people making complete browsers, why don't they make plug-ins like flash, but then for HTML, XML, Javascript, etc... The browser would just be the skin. Might actually solve some compatibility issues (of course it could start WWIII as well, but then I would just recommend you ... duck).

It is a shame that mass majority sets the standard and the best design is not usually the one to make the grade. And as usual M$ has the money to push the products the hardest. Lets hope as you say that the masses might shift for a change and people might consider other packages. Goodbye M$ Word for example! ARGH!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dump Internet Explorer, now!

martin wrote:
Ever since MS won the browser wars, they've neglected the development of IE. It's woefully behind in the standards implementations, but now it's becoming clear just how much behind it is in the security department as well. The last couple of days, there's been a number of calls to simply dump IE in favor of almost anything else. The statistics don't lie, IE is our major security headache and MS is doing very little effectively to change that. More...

Achum .... firefox and SuSE Linux 9.1 Smile
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Achum .... firefox and SuSE Linux 9.1

Yes, well, that's what's called "going overboard". Like burning down your house and moving to Australia because there was a mouse in the kitchen. Even if, as in this case, it was a very crippled and sick mouse with a nasty temper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> Site Headlines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: