Fragments
A Collection of Statements, kinda
Oh, boy, now I'm an applecore
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:

So, having gotten rid of the HP Workstation that sounded like a harvester in full rut, I transported my old dual processor SuperMicro machine down into the living room again. With its Dell 19" CRT. Now, this one sounds like another harvester in rut, actually, but not as bad as I remembered it to be (the HP was probably worse than I remembered it to be). The CRT is full of shadows (weak high voltage, probably), unsharp. The other CRT (Nokia 21") is practically dead. Severe HV problems and a color missing. But after eight years, it should be put to sleep, IMHO. Damn, this is bad. Even worse than the HP, considering all the problems.

Since I can't do everything on the Mac (development in Delphi, for one, and accounting for the daycare center, another of my unpaid tasks), I had to do something. So I broke down and ordered a new Dell desktop with dual screens. (GX280 with two 1905FP's. This chassis is claimed to be their most silent. Let's hope...)

You can't get rid of Windows machines even if you want to. (Well, since I chose a career as Windows developer, I shouldn't complain, but still...)
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Another hint that Apple is taking the world by storm. I walked into the FNAC today and they had a elevated island put in the middle of the floor as you walked into the computer department with ONLY Apple hardware. Everything from G5, to iPod, to that cute mini Mac. GAWD I WANT ONE of those cute buggers!

I would actually consider dragging a mini Mac around instead of a portable computer. Unfortunately I can't develop on it.... YET! Tongue

-KiM
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:

nevelsteen wrote:
I would actually consider dragging a mini Mac around instead of a portable computer. Unfortunately I can't develop on it.... YET!

You did talk about Eclipse. Which runs just as well, or better, on the Mac mini...
nevelsteen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:43 am    Post subject:

And I know Java does too. Wink
Can we say hello platform independence!
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm totally bowled over. Listen to this story. Any longtime Windows user out there will simply not believe it, but so be it.

Officially, my iBook does not support dual monitor, except in mirror mode, that is, both screens show the same info. And the built-in video is specified as max 1024*768, 32 Mb.

Well, there's a little free utility you can get here:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

After downloading and starting it, I clicked "enable spanning" (or something similar) and I had to reboot the iBook (one of the first times ever I had to do that). I connected a Dell 1905FP monitor to the iBook. This monitor has 1280*1024 resolution, by the way.

Now, if I plug in the monitor (that's all I do, I swear!), the desktop appears on the 1905FP with a dialog box saying "Dell 1905FP" and giving me a selection of resolutions it can use. That's it! I have a dual monitor system! 1280*1024 on external and 1024*768 internal. I can even color calibrate the external monitor separately.

I'm using the dock on the right side of the screen, so the MacOSX dock now moved to the right side of the 1905FP. If I pull out the VGA connector from the iBook, the dock moves back to the iBook screen. Any apps running on the 1905FP are also moved back to the iBook screen automatically. Reconnect the VGA and, tada!, there's the extended desktop again.

Without reboot! Without even logout/login or sleep or anything! It's hot plugging and unplugging I'm talking about!

Hot bloody damn, I'm very impressed. How can it be so easy?
martin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject:

This is really funny. Microsoft seems to feel threatened by Apple in the creative areas, so they have a new campaign showing how graphically creative you can be using Windows. As part of that campaign, they've got a really intricate and huge graphic, quite beautiful, actually. It's intended to show what you can do with Windows, underlining that creativity and graphics isn't just for the Mac. But if you download it and open it up with an app showing the creator tags, what do you find? Well, it's been made using Adobe CS2 on the Mac...

I just checked myself and it's indeed so. So it's been on Microsoft's site almost ten days already. Maybe they can't do this picture on Windows at all. The story:

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/5518/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fragments Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: